Spacetime Studios announces their new MMO endeavor.
I have been playing Pocket Legends since it’s release last year, and I have to say that it’s by the most complete and polished MMORPG experience I’ve had on my iPhone. The game got a 4-star review when it was first released, and at that point it had maybe 25% of the features/content it has now, especially with the recent 1.7 update. It seems that the folks at Spacetime have been busy for past couple years, as Blackstar was a title anticipated for PC release (I don’t know if this is still the case), and bringing the game to mobile devices wouldn’t be an easy process.
Details are limited to what I have received from the press release, but it appears to be based a lot off the Pocket Legends engine, or rather an upgraded version. Considering how much Pocket Legends has done right in gameplay, free-to-play structure, and many other MMO aspects, I’m assuming Blackstar will heavily rely on all the data gathered through the success of Pocket Legends. This is a good thing.
Blackstar tells the story of 41st century conflict between the ruthless Scorn, a race endowed with arcane powers granted by alien gods; the Riven, necro-cyborg beings allied with the Scorn; the futuristic humans of the United Colonies Defense Force, and their robotic allies known as the Mode.
Previously an unreleased, much-anticipated PC title, Blackstar will give Android and iOS gamers a level of polish and content never before seen on mobile. The game is due Q2 2011.
· 3D, real-time, persistent MMO
· Exciting sci-fi theme with futuristic human and alien races locked in a story-driven struggle for dominance
· Three character classes at launch with fully customizable skills and appearances
· Thousands of items and equipment such as holograms, dust cannons, and more
· Robust social features such as chat and friend lists
· Countless hours of worldwide, multiplayer, open-world gameplay
· Playable via Wi-Fi, Edge, 3G or 4G connections on most Android or Apple mobile devices
· Anticipated rating of 9+ for the following: Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
Spacetime Studios CEO, Gary Gattis had this to say about the project:
“Blackstar’s production design and overall polish will be unmatched in mobile gaming,” says Gary Gattis, CEO, Spacetime Studios. “We were able to nurture the IP to its maximum potential through years of development – a luxury never before seen in Mobile gaming. If you ever dreamed of a fully-featured sci-fi MMO that you can take anywhere, look for the first chapter of the Blackstar saga soon.”
You can check out the official site for more info, and stay tuned for a hands on preview from GDC in a couple weeks!